AppsMalaysia is an initiative to become a newly established hub and will be an investment fund in 2011, sponsored by Dana Belia, which promotes and supports mobile & social app/game development throughout the Malaysia.
We’re passionate about the development of apps and our aim is to support the growth of a sustainable app development industry in the Malaysia.
We help youth to develop apps within the Malaysia using the Software Development Kits (SDKs) of all the major mobile and online platforms, e.g. Android (Google), iOS (Apple), BlackBerry, Windows Mobile & Facebook. At the moment we are focusing on mobile apps, specifically iOS, Android, BlackBerry, Windows Mobile & Facebook because they are the most commercially attractive.
- We invest in the best ideas for apps that generate revenue and we provide as much mentoring and support as we can to anyone involved in app development within the Malaysia
- We promote apps on behalf of our youth entrepreneurs by publishing your apps and arranging lots of publicity
- We operate this community web site to bring youth together and provide a forum for everyone involved in app development; specifically we try to help local youth developers by providing them with sales
- App youth entrepreneurs and developers register as members on this site
- App youth entrepreneurs submit their applications for investment on this site
- AppsMalaysia considers the app idea and decides whether it wants to invest
- If AppsMalaysia decides to invest then it will identify suitable youth developers (only from within the community) and invite them to submit a proposal for developing the app on a fixed cost project basis
- AppsMalaysia signs a Supplier Agreement with the chosen youth developer
- AppsMalaysia signs a Publisher Agreement with the youth entrepreneur
- The app is developed to the highest quality standards, tested thoroughly and submitted to the appropriate (official) app store
- AppsMalaysia pays the youth developer the balance of the agreed fixed cost project fee
- AppsMalaysia is the exclusive publisher of the app on the app store but the Intellectual Property is assigned to the youth entrepreneur (the originator of the idea)
- 100% of net revenue (net of the % retained by the app store) is retained by AppsMalaysia until the development costs have been paid back in full
- All further net revenue is split with between AppsMalaysia (40%) and the youth entrepreneur (60%)
- The youth entrepreneur is responsible for marketing the app (with PR assistance from AppsMalaysia) and managing the product roadmap to evolve the app over time based on consumer metrics
Everyone’s a winner with this model:
- The youth entrepreneur wins because their idea is developed into an app which they should make a good income from … without any risk
- The youth developer wins because they earn a fair income on a fixed cost project basis, allowing them to improve their quality and grow their businesses … whether the app succeeds or fails
- AppsMalaysia wins because they cover their costs while achieving the objective of creating a sustainable industry for app development in Malaysia
AppsMalaysia member benefits include:
- A community for all stakeholders in app development
- A pool of top quality local youth app development skills
- A source of freelance employment for local suppliers
- Thought leadership – strategic and tactical
- Portal to the best press relevant to the state
- Strong relationships with Apple and other partners
- Events including presentations, focus groups and workshops
- Mentoring and support including project management and commercial guidance
- Centralised publishing of apps leading to increased app downloads
- Marketing leverage to promote apps
- Investment to develop the best ideas into profits
- Youth nation building
Membership to AppsMalaysia is open to all youth in Malaysia and it is free.
2013 Road Map
After completed the 2011-2012 AppsMalaysia project funded by Dana Belia, AppsMalaysia currently focus on Human Capital Development in Mobile Industry. We will start to launch a Mobile Empire program to develop individual to have skills on Apps Development or becoming a Successful Entrepreneur in Mobile Industry.